Track and Field
The Eagle track and field team competed at the first league meet of the year last week at Sacred Heart Prep with some fine results. Natasha Matta, grade 9, won her two first-ever hurdle races; Alexa Lowe, grade 9, won her race in the 800-meter and was within a foot of the school record in the triple jump; Ayush Vyas, grade 12, won both the discus and shot put, where he set a new personal best; the boys 400m relay team made up of Andrew Chen, grade 9; Anton Novikov, grade 10; Mitchell Granados, grade 12; and Gio Rofa, grade 11, won their race; and Brittany Shou, grade 9, set a personal best in the discus.
Then, over the weekend, the Eagles traveled to Mountain View to compete at the St. Francis Invitational. Novikov placed second in the 100m frosh-soph sprint against some of the best runners in the south Bay, setting the third fastest sophomore mark at Harker; Aditya Singhvi, grade 10; Alex Rule, grade 12; Ryan Adolf, grade 12; and Arya Maheshwari, grade 10, placed in the top 20 in the distance medley relay with the second best mark in Harker history.
The Eagles compete again on March 26 at The King’s Academy for WBAL meet No. 2.
The Harker swimmers hosted the first WBAL jamboree of the year as Crystal Springs Uplands, Notre Dame SJ and Notre Dame Belmont visited Singh Aquatic Center. Highlights included:
- Ysabel Chen, grade 9, won the 100 free and was second in the 100 breast.
- Nikela Hulton, grade 9, won the 100 butterfly and was second in the 50 free.
- Ihita Mandal, grade 12, was second in the 200 free.
- The 200 Free Relay team of Nageena Singh, grade 9, Cassandra Ruedy, grade 11, Chen and Mandal took second.
- Matthew Chung, grade 10, won the 200 and 500 free.
- Ethan Hu, grade 11, won the 200 individual medley and 100 breast.
- Rhys Edwards, grade 10, won the 100 free and 100 back.
- Andrew Chang, grade 10, was second in the 50 free.
- Alex Yu, grade 12, was second in the 200 individual medley and 100 free.
- The 200 medley relay team of Yu, Chang, Hu and Edwards took second.
- The 400 free relay team of Yu, Hu, Chung and Edwards took first.
The Eagles are back in the pool this Thursday as they host another WBAL Jamboree at Singh Aquatic Center.
The boys volleyball team continues to roll as it defeated Saratoga 3-0 to go to 13-1 on the season. This week, the Eagles travel to Los Gatos on Wednesday before hosting Monta Vista on Friday.
Last week, the lacrosse team defeated Lincoln High 13-7 to improve to 3-2 on the season. This week, the girls travel to Sequoia on Friday.
The boys tennis team picked up three wins last week as it defeated The King’s Academy 6-1, Pinewood 6-1 and Crystal Springs Uplands 5-2. This week, the boys host Crystal Springs Uplands on Monday and travels to The King’s Academy on Thursday.
Last week, the boys golf team defeated The King’s Academy 209-303 before suffering a rare loss, falling to Menlo 206-196. This week, the Eagles take on Sacred Heart Prep on Tuesday before traveling to Indio for the Champions Invitational.
Last week, the softball team lost to Notre Dame Belmont 2-14 to go to 1-5 on the season. The Eagles host El Camino on Tuesday and Mercy Burlingame on Thursday.
Last week, the baseball team dropped a 1-6 matchup to Jefferson before defeating Crystal Springs Uplands 7-6, with Nick Coulter, grade 10, and Max Lee, grade 11, each driving in two runs. This week, the Eagles host Jefferson on Tuesday before traveling to Crystal Springs Uplands on Thursday.